It is time to clean linens, grill covers, and clothing, but you do not have the best handheld steam cleaner. There is nothing worse than a dirty house to get you angry about your situation. But, with a steam cleaner, you can take back your items and clean up your act.
Having a steam cleaner can give you a plethora of options to clean and disinfect things like countertops, windows, cat litter boxes, bathrooms, and so much more. Also, many of these same steam cleaners have accessory sets to clean upholstery with a round nylon brush.
Lastly, steam cleaners are very lightweight and easy to use. With extension cords from 8 to 10 feet, you can clean almost anything with it plugged into an outlet. Safety is a key point for many of these companies, too, so you will stay protected as you work. Check out this list to find out more information about steam cleaners:
Best Handheld Steam Cleaners: Editors Top Picks
Things to Consider When Buying a Handheld Steam Cleaner
There are a few components you need to understand when purchasing the best steam cleaner. You should know the types of cleaners, their weight, and size, the cost, accessories, the size of the water tank, how the pressure and temperature work, levels of noise, top brands, and how easy the product is to use.
1. Different Types of Cleaners
The top cleaner types include a handheld steamer, steam mops, vapor steam cleaners, and cylinder steam cleaners. With a handheld steamer, you can expect the device to cost around $100. This best handheld steam cleaner is one of the cheaper models on the market, but they are perfect for the smallest of cleaning jobs. Also, they do not weigh very much either.
Steam mops are next, and many handheld steam cleaners have an easy-to-use attachment that acts as a mop. However, if you purchase just the steam mop, here is what you should expect. They are super eco-friendly, killing off parasites and bacteria without the use of bad chemicals.
Vapor steam cleaners are all the rage in today’s day and age. They use dry cleaning technology to get rid of germs and deep grime. This is not a great product for storing, because of its bigger size, but it will provide an extraordinary clean.
The last type is a cylinder steam cleaner. This versatile machine can clean any area in a home. It has a large water tank and a huge amount of attachments. You will not need to use detergents with this product, allowing you to stay environmentally friendly.
2. Weight & Size
After you have decided what cleaner is best, you should start to weigh the pros and cons of weight & size. Commercial companies make a huge grouping of models that range in sizes and weights. Most people do not like bulky cleaners. So, finding a model that works well usually should be small and weigh just a few pounds. You should also think through where you will store your best handheld steam cleaner for grout. If you do not have enough room to store a bulky cleaner, you should try for an even smaller option.
Cost is another thing that ranges with hand steam cleaner selections. With many of the branding options, you will pay in the low and mid-range, as it pertains to cleaners. This is affordable for people who own a home in present-day America. But, if you spend a little bit more, your unit will usually have some cool added features.
Accessory and attachments come with every steam cleaner handheld option. This usually means the cleaner will come with added nozzles, measuring cups, storage bags, etc. But, when you make the decision on a cleaner, you should look into what accessories you need when cleaning. If you buy a steamer that has accessories you will use, go for it. However, if your accessories are of no use to you, try looking for another option.
5. Water Tank Size
Think of the tank for a handheld steam cleaner like when using an iron. As long as you have water in your tank, your steamer will continue to function appropriately. If you have a small tank, you can expect your steamer to last between 10 and 20 minutes. But, if you have a bigger tank, it could last up to an hour. However, if you have a bigger tank, you should expect the product to weigh a lot more, and probably be more difficult to store. Also, the more water you have, the longer it will take to heat up.
6. Knowing how Pressure and Temperature Works
Most customers want to know how hot their handheld steamer will get and what PSI will shoot out of the nozzle. The higher the temperature and higher the pressure will ensure that a deeper clean will get done every time you use the machine. Also, you need to find a cleaner that keeps the pressure over time. Many options may reach a certain PSI, but they will not stay there. The longer you can keep pressure, the longer you will be able to clean the necessary items in your house.
7. Noise Levels
If you think floor and steam cleaners are similar to a vacuum, this could not be further from the truth. More often than not, a steam cleaner is quieter than a vacuum model, but some steamers can get quite loud. If noise is a concern for you, consider trying out some models before you buy one. Also, looking for advertisements that speak about a quick steam cleaner may be your best bet. Furthermore, some companies even share decibel levels on their website about the noise level. This can give you a good idea about what you may be up against.
8. Top Brands
When looking for a top hand steam cleaner, you should have an idea of what the top brands actually are in the marketplace. Bissell and Hoover have a historic reputation for steam cleaners that efficient, yet also effective. Some other top options include Vaparmore, Steamfast, Sienna, Shark, McCulloch, and Reliable.
9. Ease of Using a Cleaner
The last thing you should consider when buying the best handheld steam cleaner is how easy the product is to use. Some are easier to work with because of their size. The deeper the machine, the bigger the machine will probably be. Smaller cleaners can still do good work but usually pale in comparison.
Benefits of Steam Cleaning
There are a huge amount of benefits when it comes to the best handheld steam cleaner for bathroom needs. Let us start with its water usage. A little water does wonders with a steam cleaner. By heating up the water over 200 degrees Fahrenheit, on most devices, cleaning will happen in no time. No matter if you are sanitizing or disinfecting, steam cleaners do the trick.
Another great thing about steam cleaners is the fact that they clean ultra-fast and dry even faster. When the water is heated up and steam starts to flow, only 5% of actual water remains. This is phenomenal when cleaning carpets, clothing, mattresses, and much, much more.
Steam cleaners are also known for their great performance without the use of chemicals and detergents. This means that this product will not harm pets and small children at any time. Since the best handheld steamer brands care about the environment, there have been a lot of strides to change the bad reputation of steam because of dry cleaning corporations. Today, steamers are better than ever because of safety, fast-acting work, and easy storage options.
Do you want to clean things easier than ever before? Then, you should go for a steam cleaner. It will not take much work for you to get into the grit and grim without working yourself dog-tired. You will actually end up with more time on your hands after using a great steamer option.
The last thing that needs to be mentioned as a benefit is a steamers variability. You can clean almost anything with this product. From vinyl to adhesives and to graffiti removal to auto detailing, there is so much that can be done with a cleaner. You need something cleaned and a steam cleaner can probably do it.
How to Use a Handheld Steam Cleaner?
There are a few things you will need to do when using your best handheld steam cleaner. First, start by putting the nozzles together. When you connect the nozzles to the machine itself, you will not have any leaking issues.
Filling the water tank is next. Place your steam cleaner on a flat surface and unplug the machine if you have it plugged into electricity. With the help of a measuring cup, add water to the top line. Picking your water is a preference thing at this point. Normal tap water will work, but distilled water actually helps the steam cleaner handheld last longer.
Now, it is time to use your purchase. Connect your machine to power. The cleaner will be ready to go when the steam light comes on. Press the steam button when you are ready to roll. Do not point it towards yourself or any other living thing. Steamers can cause severe burns. When you are done with the machine, disconnect it from electricity.
The last step involves cleaning and storing your device for use another time. Take the nozzles off if you are looking to clean the machine itself. Empty out the excess water and then rinse off the machine. Put the cleaner away in a closet that is out of the reach of children and animals.
The Best Handheld Steam Cleaners Reviews:
1. Dirt Devil Corded Handheld Steam Cleaner
One of the steam cleaner staples comes from Dirt Devil. This steam cleaner is a powerful device that gets through any mess you need to clean up. With a blow-molded hose, this cleaner product is lightweight and simple to work with. There is a jet tip extension for hard to reach places where dirt settles.
Some extra attachments with this product include a steam pad, squeegee, fabric tool, wire grill brush, flexible hose, and a flip cup. Also, with a cord length of 10 feet and an additional 2.5 feet for the hose, you will be able to reach all over the house. An 8- amp motor makes this one of the most powerful models on the market.
If you decide to purchase this steamer, you will receive a dependable 1-year warranty, as well as customer support that is available at all times of the day. Just know you will have support on your side if you are ever in need of help.
- Items weigh less than 3 pounds
- The color of this device is red
- Water capacity for this device is 250 mL
- Works against bedbugs
- A steamer uses 1,000 watts of power
- Perfect for small or large jobs
- Takes a minute to build up steam
2. Vapamore MR-75 Amico Hand Held Steam Cleaner
If you are looking to remove grime, stains, dirt, and grease, this is one of the best handheld steamer options for you to consider. Without using any chemicals, it sanitizes and cleans in no time at all. As a portable steamer, you will be able to move around the house to kill things like dusting mites, germs, allergens, and bed bugs.
A lifetime warranty is what you will get with this steam cleaner. It also has the power to boot with 110-120 volts and 60 Hz in North America. This will be enough power for whatever you need to clean in your house, car, or in your garage.
With every MR-75 purchase, you will receive an accessory storage bag, carrying case, jet nozzle, detail scraper, small and large brass brush, measuring cup, and so much more. Ultimately, Vapamore named this product “Amico” because it means “friend” in Italian. This is the kind of vibe that Vapamore wants its customers to feel every time they use this product.
- Uses a 1,000-watt water heater
- Has the largest amount of accessories on this list
- Product steams at 210 degrees Fahrenheit
- Great for pet care cleaning
- Heating time will only take 4 minutes
- Has a cord length of 10 feet
- Weighs less than 4 pounds
3. Steamfast SF-370WH Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaner
Another handheld steam cleaner choice comes from Steamfast. This 1,500-watt steam cleaner is perfect for cleaning your house. With 120 volts of power, this thing is quite strong to take on the dirtiest of homes. You will not have to worry about harsh chemicals invading your home because this is not what this steam cleaner is all about.
A 45-ounce tank will give you 45 minutes of steaming power. An additional 15 accessories will help you even mop up the floor with its steaming mop attachment. Other attachments include a corner tool, squeegee, scrub tool, jet nozzle, and double extension wands to name a few. With a trigger for on-demand steaming, you will be able to lock your steamer when you are using the device and when you are not.
If you live in the United States of America, this product ships anywhere you live. It is amazing a professional-based steamer can be used for personal use. As you finish using this cleaner, you can wrap the almost 16-foot power cord easily with a cord wrap.
- Heating time only takes 8 minutes
- Uses a boiler heating system
- Weighs less than 9 pounds
- Comes in the color white
- Perfect for cleaning fabric blinds and painted walls
- Can use distilled water when cleaning
4. PurSteam Chemical-Free Pressurized Cleaner
PurSteam is another hand steam cleaner that has quality components throughout their products. This imported model is very effective and fast, no matter what you need to clean. One of the best features of this cleaner from PurSteam is its all-natural steaming power. With the help of pressurized steam, you will be sure to take stains, mold, and grime away very quickly.
This portable device is extremely lightweight and can extend almost 10 feet in any direction, no matter if you are outdoors or indoors. As a safe steam cleaner, you will be able to work with cotton, wood flooring, ceramic tile, and much more. In just 4 minutes of time, the steam will heat up for you ready to use.
This PurSteam cleaner has a great accessory set, too. When it comes to hard-to-reach sections in your home, these attachments will come in handy, if you use an extension hose or not. Dirty bathrooms, bedrooms, and patios are no match for this steamer.
- Weighs just over 2 pounds
- This is a chemical free product
- Perfect for items that kids dirty up
- Very affordable option
- Amazing customer service
- Makes things in your house new again
5. Hoover TwinTank Handheld Steam Cleaner
Looking for a steam cleaner that kills 99.9% of the bacteria you come against? This best handheld steamer uses a double tank system that works with disinfectant solutions or with steam itself. Anything from the floor up, you can use this device to make your home, and the items inside, look like new again. Hoover uses a biodegradable solution that is NSF approved for whatever you need to clean.
Its portability is one of the best things about this Hoover steamer. With a great number of tools, you will use all of them over the lifetime of this product. This product comes with 10 total accessories that will never let you down. Some of the accessories include bathroom cleaning tools, wire brushes, detailing pads, glass tools, and fabric tools to boot.
Another tool that has not been mentioned yet is the amazing squeegee attachment. This is perfect for windows in the house or glass doors of your shower. You can expect streak-free cleaning from this device. From the steamer itself, the steam will last longer than you ever thought possible. You can also clean 1 to 2 rooms on one steamer tank.
- Attachments are super high-quality
- Pretty inexpensive model
- Cleaning can actually be fun
- Great, long extension cord
- 5 minutes to heat up the steamer
6. Bissell 39N7S/39N71 Steam Shot Hard-Surface Cleaner
Bissell is another option when considering the best handheld steam cleaner for bathroom use. As a powerful option, there is an easy-to-use trigger that turns the device on and off. There are no harmful chemicals when using this device, so you can rest easy that no residue or fumes will build-up over time.
Specifically, this product uses a 1,000-watt rating power system that has a 20-foot power cord. With every Bissell purchase, you can expect a grout brush, extension hose, scraping tool, window squeegee, fabric steamer, detail brush, and an angle concentrator.
Each tank will hold up to 6.6 ounces of water, and the heating time will only take 30 seconds for your cleaner to be up and running. When you buy this product, Bissell uses what they call “frustration-free” packing. This is a certified service that the company prides itself on.
At less than 5 pounds, this Bissell cleaner is one of the best in the business. It can be shipped anywhere in the United States of America, and there are even some places it can be shipped internationally.
- One of the bestselling steam cleaners on the market
- The color of this product is light green
- Works well for spot cleaning carpets
- Perfect for cleaning difficult areas
- Cleaning capabilities can be used in minutes
7. Steamfast SF-210 Everyday Handheld Steam Cleaner
Steamfast lives up to its name as a fast steam cleaner that will not let you down. As a best handheld steam cleaner for grout, you can really do some damage against the harshest, filthy elements. With a compact design, Steamfast can be carried all around the house with ease. Without the use of harsh chemicals, this device cleans naturally and sanitizes anything you need to be done.
All you need is 3 minutes for this product to warm-up. This will allow you for 8 consecutive minutes of high-powered steaming use. Professional-grade power comes standard with 900 watts of strength. With every purchase, you will receive 6 attachments that include an extension hose to get you started off right. Additionally, this product has 12 extra feet of cord, so you can power it from any outlet.
Another cool option with this steamer is the on-demand control where you can change the flow to match your needs. With the SF-210, you will see its versatility wherever you roam.
- Includes a jet nozzle and measuring cup
- Uses a boiler heating system
- Connects with 120-volt power
- Weighs less than 3 pounds
- Can be shipped anywhere in the United States of America
- Essential for getting wrinkles out of clothes
- This steamer will last for years
8. Goplus Handheld Pressurized Steam Cleaner
High-pressure steam and high-temperature stability is a byproduct of this next cleaner. Many floor and steam cleaners bow to this amazing model. If you are looking to clean floors, stovetops, countertops, and more, this is the device for you. With a very short warm-up experience, you only need 3 minutes to get this cleaner running right. This is a great benefit with so many steamers this day taking double-digit minutes to get warmed up.
Functional accessories come standard in every cleaner package. Some attachments include a grout brush, window squeegee, and an angle concentrator, among other things. Additionally, this device is overheated protected. You will never have to worry if this device will overheat and breakdown. It was designed to withstand the heat.
You will also be impressed with the chemical free solution, which will not harm people or pets. As you carry this product around your home, or to clean out your car, it will not weigh you down. It is built to last, but not to cause your grief in the process.
- The tank capacity holds 350 mL
- Can withstand temperatures of 275 degrees Fahrenheit
- Includes a power cord length that is 10-feet
- Weighs just over 5 pounds
- Made by the manufacturer Superbuy
- Perfect for kill dust mites once a month
9. MLMLANT Handheld Pressurized Cleaner Set
This stylish blue steam cleaner is a choice you should examine for purchase. Start with its fast-heating make-up. Within 3 to 4 minutes, you will be able to start cleaning whatever you need to get done. It uses a multipurpose cleaning system that uses 11 accessory pieces for a deep, deep clean.
The steam from this device stays hot, too. By using 1050-watts of power, and having a 350 mL tank for water, you will be able to shot a pressurized stream of heat for 20 minutes at a time. With the temperature staying between 250 and 275 degrees Fahrenheit, stains, grease, and grout will be no more.
No matter what you need to clean, this machine can handle sealed surfaces. Whether itis marble, wood floors, windows, toilets, laminate, or ceramic, this device knows what to do. 11 essential accessories are the reason for their high ratings. It includes a bent spray funnel, long spray cup, and an extension nozzle to name a few things.
With a 30-day warranty, if you do not like the product for any reason, you can bet your money back. This full refund is something that few steam cleaner companies actually does. Since MLMLANT loves helping its customers’ clean, their goal is for your complete satisfaction.
- A 2.9-meter long cord comes with purchase
- Can run up to 20 minutes
- Weighs almost 5 and a half pounds
- Impeccable with carpets and calcium build-up
- Very easy to get working
10. Reliable Pronto 100CH Portable Hand-Held Steam Cleaner
The last cleaner on our top ten is from the company Reliable. As the best steam cleaner, you can expect a high-pressured product that can handle any type of cleaning. Are you worried about safety with a steam cleaner? There is nothing worse than getting burnt by steam, but this will not happen with this product.
Reliable uses a Comfort Safety System that is patented. This allows for the water tank to open and close automatically. Because of this, the cap will stay on, and you will not need to screw the cap on to stay on. When it comes to fabric cleaning, this pressurized cleaner will take wrinkle out of any clothes and they will never ever be damaged.
If you are looking for total control, this portable cleaner is for you. With each point and click steam gun, you will have a continuous stream of 8-minute steam. Your wrist will not wear down as you clean, even with the hardest places to reach. Lastly, this set includes 14 pieces, which can help clean things like a BBQ grill and tough tile.
- Includes a 1-year warranty
- Weighs 2 and a half pounds
- Company has a long, successful history since 1955
- Uses 58 PSI as you clean
- Lasts up to 15 minutes
11. Lambow Handheld Pressurized Cleaner Set
- Uses a chemical-free solution when cleaning
- Necessary to clean shower curtains, car seats, kid toys, stoves, and so much more
- The extension hose is a 100 cm option that is very flexible
- The power cord is 9-feet long
- Exerts 1,050-watts of steamer power
- Lasts up to 20 minutes at a time
- Needs 12 ounces of water to run
12. Comforday Surface Handheld Pressurized Steam Cleaner
- Includes 9 accessories that are absolutely free
- Hot steam lasts 15 to 20 minutes at a time
- Great for indoor or outdoor cleaning use
- Weighs just over 3 pounds
- Uses 110 volts of power
- Perfect for spot treatment on a carpet
- Needs 100 mL of water to get started
13. Haan HS-20R Handheld Steam Cleaner with Attachments
- Heats up in 3 minutes or less
- Kills bacteria, dust mites, and germs as you use
- Includes a limited warranty of 1-year
- Steam reaches a temperature of 212 degrees Fahrenheit
- Uses a heating system of 1,000-watts
- Comes with a storage bag
- Only weighs 5 pounds
14. Handheld Pressurized Steam Cleaner Set
- Extension cord reaches to 9-feet
- Can work for up to 20 minutes
- Very lightweight
- Completely chemical-free
- Includes 9 total accessories
- Child lock comes standard with this machine
- Totals 4 pounds
15. Paramount Home Handheld Steam Cleaner
- Essential for stain removal
- Works for 15 to 20 minutes of time
- Money back guarantee if you are not ecstatic about your purchase
- Steam heats up to 250 to 275 degree Fahrenheit
- No chemicals used with this product
- Cleans sinks, wheel rims, floors, kitchens, etc.
- Weighs 4 pounds
16. LINLUX Handheld Pressurized Steam Cleaner
- Steam cleaner lasts for 10 minutes
- Includes a straight, fabric, and angled nozzle
- Perfect for multiple surfaces
- Holds 350 mL of water
- Safety-lock system
- Heats up to 288 degrees Fahrenheit
- Heating time only takes 3 minutes
17. Sienna Steam Birdie Handheld Steam Cleaner
- Uses 14.5 PSI
- Takes less than 30 seconds to get water warmed up
- Powerful enough to kill bedbugs
- 43% more powerful than the leading brands
- Weighs a little less than 5 pounds
- There are 9 total attachments
- Only needs tap water
18. ShamBo Handheld Pressurized Steam Cleaner
- Has an extension cord of 9-feet for this best handheld steam cleaner
- Can work for 20 minutes between refills
- No need for chemicals or detergents
- Child lock comes standards
- Has a measuring cup to add water
- Uses 3 bars of pressure
- Assembly is very easy to put together
Frequently Asked Questions About Handheld Steam Cleaners
Q-1: Where does the water disappear to when using the best handheld steam cleaner?
- When the machine is in action, the water turns to a dry mist. Any excess water cleans the fabric, tile, etc. Within minutes, the things you cleaned will dry up, sanitizing and getting rid of residue.
Q-2: Why are steam cleaners not heard about in the United States of America?
- Steam cleaners have been all the rage for decades in Europe, but they are only now being marketed in America. One thing steam cleaner corporations had to do was change the electrical system from European standards to American. This re-engineering has allowed for safety protocols to come into form. Now, ETL listings and laboratories, like the Underwriters Laboratory, are setting the stage for more and more companies to root themselves in the American market.
Q-3: Will steam cleaners see a hike in the commercial market?
- Hospitals are leading the way to help clean their facilities. With a rampant amount of bacteria and germs, hospitals are seeing a massive improvement with its facilities. Other businesses that are using a steam cleaner include retirement centers, food service corporations, governmental buildings, and schools to name a few. By using steam cleaners, these buildings have seen improvement with their air quality indoors, as well as putting in less work, but still getting an amazing deep clean from the product.
Q-4: Can I get odors and smells out of my carpets with a steam cleaner?
- When it comes to homes with cats, dogs, and little children, the house can get messy in no time at all. Instead of paying for expensive cleaners, you can do the job on your own by using a steam cleaner. Since there are no chemicals or detergents, you will not have to worry about your small loved ones. As you finish up cleaning, you won’t smell any of the foul odors anymore. All you will smell is a sweet, clean smell wherever you walk.
Q-5: Will dust mites actually be eradicated by steam?
- The secret is out and dust mites are no match for a steam cleaner. Dust mites cannot handle heat over 130 degrees Fahrenheit, but 180 degrees Fahrenheit seems to be the sweet spot. Heat is truly the thing that kills dust mites, not the water vapor itself. Make sure to vacuum the area with a traditional vacuum when you are done. There may be particle matter left over. Dust mites are the only things that can’t handle heat; flea eggs, larvae, and fleas themselves will bow down to heat.
The best handheld steam cleaner is one that fits you and your lifestyle. With so many on the market, it can be overwhelming to sort through all the brands. But, with the help of this buying review guide, you will be well on your way to make the best choice humanly possible.
Consider your budget and the accessories you need, and then purchase with confidence. This way, you will be able to use your steam cleaner for what it was intended to do. Then, your home, your vehicle, and your life will be cleaner than you ever thought possible. Removing dirt, grime, and germs can be a reality with your very own steam cleaner. Do not wait any longer; go live the clean life you always thought was possible because the time is now to see your hard-work through to completion.