A steam inhaler isn’t just for those suffering from chronic sinus, allergies, congestion, or flu. It’s also one of the most commonly used devices when it comes to improving one’s overall health. That’s why in this review, we take a look at the best steam inhaler available to help you can get effective results.
When used correctly, this device will be able to provide relief for those faced with a variety of respiratory illnesses as well as those who want to soothe their throat and vocal cords. So if you are searching for a natural approach to help alleviate allergies, cold, sinusitis, as well as other nose ailments, this handy little contraption could be exactly what you need.
Read on to find out everything you need to know about how to choose the right steam inhaler for your needs. We’ve also included a list of the 10 most popular products on the market right now to make it easy for you to make your choice.
10 Best Steam Inhaler: Editor’s Top Picks
Things to Consider When Buying a Steam Inhaler
There are many things to consider when trying to find the best steam inhaler for your needs. Not all steamers are created equal, and depending on your needs, a steamer that works best for someone else may not be ideal for you. Take a look at the factors listed below to help you make the right choice.
Ease of Use
A steam inhaler works by providing a concentrated haze through a nasal or facial mask. Most steam inhalers are made from commercial-grade plastic, and it’s important that you choose one with construction and design that is not only comfortable but easy to use as well.
It should be light enough to hold and it should sit comfortably on your face. In addition to being easy to use it needs to also be simple to clean after use and to store away when not in use – cables and all. The good news is that the majority of steam inhalers these days are quite easy to use with ergonomic designs that most users appreciate.
The device you choose should neither be too small nor too large. This is particularly true if you’re always on the go. The size of the steamer will have a great influence on which steamer you choose. You’ll need to pick a compact piece that is portable enough to carry with you everywhere you go,
In addition to being more convenient for traveling, smaller steamers are also easier to hold which makes them ideal for use on kids. However, your steam inhaler should not be so small that it’s ineffective when used by adults.
You don’t want your nebulizer to deliver drops of near-boiling water all over your face. You need one that works effectively to provide actual steam. Some low-quality nebulizers on the market tend to spit water droplets and not water vapor, which makes them neither comfortable nor safe.
While we’re on the subject of steam generation, you should also consider the capacity of the inhaler you choose, since various models from different brands provide different amounts of vapor depending on the size of the water chamber.
You’ll find some steam inhalers on the market which offer several styles of breathing masks. With some, you’re able to use therapeutic essential oils while other steam inhalers use hot air for self-drying between sessions. Yet others come with temperature controls as well as programmed shut-off switches.
It’s important to consider which features are important to you so you ensure that you choose the steamer that has those aspects. One of the most commonly required features is steam-adjustment.
Most users find that a steam inhaler that allows you full control over how much steam you inhale is the best kind, particularly when using it on babies, kids, and elderly people who may find it difficult to inhale steam which is of concentrated strength. Steam-adjustment will allow them to be as comfortable as possible while getting the best results.
This is obviously a factor that is very important since you don’t want to be replacing an inhaler every few weeks or months. Make sure that the inhaler you choose is made from sturdy materials with strong craftsmanship. This will not only prevent you from having to replace your device often, but it will also ensure its safety during use.
Low-quality construction and design are likely to result in accidents such as when the plastic melts from high heat. Choosing a high-quality, durable steam inhaler will ensure that you’re able to use it safely for decades to come.
For most people, their budget determines which inhaler they end up choosing. Just remember, with this type of product you typically get what you pay for. This means that you should be wary of products that are too cheaply priced while claiming to be of the best quality.
Having said that, this doesn’t mean you have to pay through the nose for your steam inhaler. On our review list of the 10 best steam inhalers on the market right now, we’ve included the most popular, high-quality, affordably priced inhalers that you’ll find anywhere.
How to Use a Steam Inhaler
Using a steam inhaler to relieve respiratory issues is a simple process. Thanks to the advancements of technology, designs have simplified to such a point that even a child can use a steam inhaler with little supervision.
Depending on which brand you’re using, you may need to use boiling water in your inhaler. Some inhalers do have inbuilt heating which is convenient as it means that you don’t have to pre-boil the water before transferring it to the inhaler.
After placing the water inside your inhaler, you can now add your essential oils, herbs, etc. such as eucalyptus, peppermints, and so on. Again, this depends on the particular type of steam inhaler you are using.
Then place the inhaler over your nose or mouth. Certain types of inhalers come with masks that you can place over your entire face, while some are just small enough to cover your nose. Breathe in the water vapor mix slowly. You can do this for about five minutes, but take short breaks in between. Repeat this process until you’ve achieved the desired relief.
If your congestion or blockage isn’t completely freed, you might need to repeat this steaming routine a few times during the day until you find relief. The steam inhaler works to effectively break down mucus in the nasal passage when relieving congestion. This helps to soothe that area of your respiratory system and rids you of any symptoms of ailments such as colds, flu, allergies, and so on.
Top 10 Best Steam Inhaler Reviews:
1. MyPurMist Steam Inhaler
This personal steam inhaler kit is one that you absolutely must have if you suffer from allergies, colds, or sinus congestion. For those who don’t want to take medication, this is a great natural alternative that will provide you with relief from these and a lot more conditions.
Initially developed for use in hospitals, this steam inhaler uses patented capillary force steam which converts water into vapor with no need to boil the water. This means you get instant germ-free vapor when using this device. The MyPurMist handheld steam inhaler also comes with temperature control among other features. This allows you to ensure that the use of this device is as comfortable as possible.
This inhaler is designed to be used by anyone and everyone in your family which means that if any of your loved ones are suffering from allergies, sinus, chest congestion, colds, flu, sore throat, etc. they can get immediate relief by using this steam inhaler.
This is undoubtedly the best personal steam inhaler that you’ll find on the market, and that’s why it made it to the top spot on our list. In addition to its many wonderful features, it also has a user-friendly design and is extremely easy to clean and maintain.
- The device makes use of patented hospital technology
- Steam inhaler provides germ-free steam
- Portable design is ideal for traveling
- Easy to clean and doesn’t require much maintenance
- Multipurpose steam inhaler relieves various conditions
2. Vicks Personal Steam Inhaler
If you’re considering getting a steam inhaler to deal with sinus congestion, common cold, and other ailments, this is a great device that offers a natural remedy that is not only quick but also extremely effective, too.
This steam inhaler will also work particularly well with people who have chronic respiratory issues such as asthma. If you have been finding it difficult to pick the right steam inhaler for your needs, this could be what you’re searching for.
The Vicks steam inhaler provides warm vapor that relieves coughs, allergies, and congestion. This device also has a very simple design that is easy to use even for young children, although it’s not recommended to allow young children to use the steam inhalation unit alone.
It comes with adjustable controls that help to regulate the amount of steam flowing. There’s also an on-off light that indicates when the device is turned on. The vast majority of people who have used this steam inhaler attest to the fact that it’s among the best inhalation therapy products on the market today.
- Comes with an on-off indicator light
- Vicks inhaler offers simple, convenient 5 to 15-minute treatments
- Compatible with various optional sent pads
- The design offers adjustable steam control
- The lightweight, compact design is ideal for traveling
3. MABIS Personal Steam Inhaler
When choosing the right steam inhaler for your needs, it’s important to ensure that you pick a model that works particularly well for your particular ailment. Even the most well-designed steam inhaler, if it’s not intended for your condition, will not be very effective for treating you.
This personal steam inhaler from MABIS, a well-known brand, is tested to help you control allergies, flu, and cold symptoms, among other conditions.
Unlike many other inhalers in its category which are poorly designed to such an extent that instead of inhaling steam, you often find yourself breathing in horrible plastic smells from the device, this is an extremely well-made gadget that not only looks great but also performs in a spectacular fashion.
It operates quietly, and the kit comes with everything you need to use the machine. You get an extension tube, indicator light, measuring cup, aromatherapy tank, drain tank, a flexible and soft mask, as well as a 5ft power cord. For anyone searching for a portable steam inhaler, this could be an ideal option for you.
- Features a sleek, stylish design which is aesthetically pleasing
- Comes with adjustable steam control
- Includes an aromatherapy tank
- The device has a filter-free design
- Provides relief for a variety of respiratory conditions
4. Gurin Steam Inhaler
The age we live in today is one where there are dozens of drugs to cure each and every ailment that you can think of. However, the vast majority of those drugs often give mild to severe side effects. This steamer from Gurin was designed with the idea that you don’t have to depend on drugs for a lot of the respiratory issues that you encounter from time to time.
It offers a natural cure that is also good for your overall health. If you are someone who is frequently affected by allergies, sinus, bronchitis, cold, and flu, you can use the steam inhaler to achieve natural relief from all these and other conditions.
With this steam inhaler, you will get a smooth, steady vapor which will help you relieve many symptoms of respiratory issues, leaving your throat and lungs feeling free and functioning great. The device comes with a variable steam adjustment which allows you to get just the right amount of vapor into your lungs.
The flexible mask is soft and fits perfectly to help in directing the steam where it needs to go. This is the best steam inhaler sinus sufferers can get.
- Comes with a variable steam control
- Includes a soft, flexible, well-fitting mask
- Offers a soothing, steady vapor for quick results
- The device comes with convenient indicator lights
- Kit includes a drain tank and extension tube
5. FeelLife Portable Steam Inhaler
This compact, portable inhaler from FeelLife brand is designed to offer you fast relief from a variety of respiratory conditions. For anyone who suffers from asthma, emphysema, and other lung illnesses and requires inhalation treatment on the go, this is the ideal steam inhaler for your needs.
Unlike a lot of other brands which produce hot steam, this inhaler delivers cool mist. It has a quiet operation and is very easy to use. Simply press the ‘on’ button, wait a few seconds, and then commence using the device. You can use ordinary distilled water or tap water in the unit. Either way, the mist produced by the device will not be affected.
This inhaler comes with two controls for airflow which means you can regulate the speed at which the mist is produced by the device. The ease of use of this steam inhaler makes it ideal for use by people of all ages. If you are searching for a steam inhaler that is portable, effective, and affordable, then this is one you absolutely should consider.
- Compact and lightweight design is ideal for traveling
- Offers fast and effective inhalation treatment
- Relieves the symptoms of a variety of lung illnesses
- Easy and quiet operation
- Uses ordinary tap water to produce a cool mist
6. Compressor Children-Accessories Replacement
The steam inhalation devices from this brand help to calm and entertain children during treatments. They offer quick and reliable delivery of steam for effective results. If you are searching for Compressor children accessories replacement, then this is the product for you.
Compressor steam inhaler combines function, form, and reliability in one convenient package. It’s intended for use when treating asthma, COPD, as well as a variety of other respiratory ailments where aerosolized medication is needed during therapy.
It has two storage compartments, one for the power cord and another for all other accessories which save a lot of space and add convenience. The reusable accessories kit includes an extension tube, adult and child mask, a mouthpiece, a medicine cup, and five air filters.
This extremely easy to use device has a one-button operation and it features a non-slip base which helps you get on with your treatment more easily and safely. For anyone searching for the ideal personal steam inhaler for children, this could very well be it.
- This inhaler kit includes all the necessary accessories
- High-quality design and construction
- Comes with a non-slip base that helps to keep the device steady
- Portable size ideal for traveling
- One-button operation for ease of use
7. Veridian Steam Inhaler
This steam inhaler and beauty mask from Veridian provides relief from sinus, colds, and flu infections. Breathing in the warm air helps to loosen the mucus inside the nasal passages, throat, and lungs thereby clearing the passages and ensuring easy breathing.
While this device does not cure the actual infection, it gives you much-needed relief from the many symptoms of colds and flu that make you miserable and leaves you feeling much better in your body. This is the ideal steam inhaler that sinus sufferers can use to achieve instant relief from their affliction.
This inhaler does a really good job of providing immediate relief from sinusitis, bronchitis, allergies, rhinitis, and various other elements. The device offers different steam adjustment settings to allow you full control over the level of steam you require for each treatment. With this steam inhaler, you can get a good, effective steam therapy within just 6 to 9 minutes.
- The device comes with an adjustable steam control
- Only BPA-free materials were used in its construction
- Includes a small mask and a large one
- Ideal for steam inhalation therapy and facial therapy
- Effectively clears the breathing system and reduces inflammation
8. Avya Sinus Steamer
This steam inhaler is unique in that it offers the patented delivery system for saline steam which is designed to quickly and effectively clear obstruction inside the breathing path. This brand uses clean nanoparticle steam that goes deeper into your nasal, throat, and sinus passages to clear mucus and relieve symptoms of cold, flu, allergies, and sinusitis.
You can use this device anywhere, from your home to your office, even at the park or on vacation. It’s small, compact, and lightweight enough to take with you anywhere you go. There’s no longer any need to struggle with breathing no matter where you are.
This steam inhaler works in three easy steps. You simply add saline, turn it on, and inhaled deeply. That’s it! All you have to do is take a deep breath and allow it to do the rest. It will clear up congestion and treat sinusitis with its flow of steam and saline. This could be the best steam inhaler for singers, particularly those who travel a lot.
- Very small compact device ideal for traveling
- Uses a unique and patented steam delivery system
- Clears obstruction in the throat, sinuses, and lungs
- Works quickly and effectively thanks to nanoparticle saline
- Compatible with a variety of aqueous solutions, including homemade ones
9. NanoSteamer Facial Steamer
This is one of the most popular face steaming products on the market right now. There are certain features that make the NanoSteamer a lot better than its competitors. For one, this device is a genuine three-in-one machine that doubles as an extremely powerful humidifier.
It also has an inbuilt towel warming chamber which a lot of users have come to appreciate. If you want to increase the effectiveness of any beauty cream, serum, or face mask, you can use this device to help you deliver those products deep into the skin layers through ionic channeling.
This steamer has a larger water reservoir which gives you up to half an hour of steaming time. This is much longer than the majority of other steamers on the market which offer a run time of only 5 to 8 minutes.
When you buy this steamer, you also get a five-piece stainless still kit which is ideal for skin care specialists who use it to remove impurities from the skin after opening the pores with steaming. Pure Daily Care, the company that manufactures this device is based in the US and boasts a stellar customer service team.
- Kit includes additional accessories for removing skin impurities
- Ionic channeling allows deeper penetration of beauty products
- The device has a much longer run time
- A multi-use device can also be used as a humidifier
- Includes power cord, user manual, and convenient pouring cup
10. Personal Steam Inhaler
A warm steady supply of warm steam is vital for giving relief to anyone who suffers from irritation in their nasal passages. Although there are many causes for this condition, one of the most effective, natural remedies is by using a personal steam inhaler such as this one.
This is a convenient, quick, and safe alternative to the traditional use of steam bowls. With so many different types of inhalers available on the market right now, a lot of people mistakenly believe that this device has to be complicated in order to work perfectly, but this brand proves that that’s not true.
The unit has a simple, easy-to-use design which makes it ideal for users of all ages. You can use this at home for treating coughs, colds, sinuses, and other breathing difficulties you or your loved ones might experience. This personal steam inhaler will provide you with temporary relief from your symptoms that you need to immediately start feeling better.
It produces soothing steam that gets in your mouth and throat through to your lungs to naturally alleviate irritation, dryness, and congestion. The steamer is compact and lightweight, which means that you can easily take it anywhere. It’s also extremely easy to clean and maintain, and that makes it ideal for busy people who are always on the go.
This device also comes with variable steam control features that allow you to choose the setting that’s most comfortable for you to get optimal results. If you are looking for the best steam inhalation unit, this is definitely one to consider.
- The device includes a soft, flexible plastic mask
- It’s compatible with vapor pads to give a soothing scent
- This steamer is compact and lightweight
- Variable steam settings allow you full control and comfort
- Backed by a one-year warranty from the manufacturer
Medical Benefits of Steam Inhalation
Inhaling steam comes with a lot of medical benefits that some people may not have been aware of. By introducing warm, moist water vapor into your lungs through the nose and throat, you get therapeutic benefits that go far beyond simply easing symptoms of respiratory conditions. We’ve listed some of those benefits below:
- Respiratory Benefits
The first and most obvious benefit is to your respiratory system. By inhaling steam, you offer a natural treatment for respiratory problems such as the common cold, flu, sinusitis, bronchitis, allergies, asthma, and many more.
When your dry air passages become moist, mucus is loosened and eliminated a lot easier when coughing or blowing your nose. The vapor also alleviates throat irritation and inflammation and helps to ease breathing.
- Natural Expectorant
As a natural expectorant, inhaling steam increases the level of secretions, which results in clearer secretions that lubricate irritated respiratory tract areas. Inhaling steam massively benefits the throat and lungs since it acts as an effective natural expectorant.
By relaxing the muscles, helps to relieve coughing and other symptoms. Steam inhalation is also necessary for the prevention of excessive drying of your mucous membranes.
- Improved Circulation
When your body temperature rises, your blood vessels start to dilate. This results in increased blood flow and increased overall blood circulation within your body. This increased circulation helps to provide relief from a variety of conditions including migraines. It also helps to strengthen your immune system since the elevated temperature stimulates the circulation of white blood cells which work to fight germs.
- Reduce Stress
When you’re stressed, your body releases a certain hormone which causes the inner layer of your blood vessels to shrink and constrict. By inhaling steam, you trigger the vasodilation of those blood vessels which means that the flow of blood is increased. This helps to promote relaxation, and you can further enhance stress reduction by using certain essential oils.
- Pore Cleansing and Rejuvenation
The previously mentioned boost in your circulation helps to improve your skin’s appearance. This means that by inhaling steam, you’re getting all these additional benefits even if your main goal is to relieve symptoms of respiratory issues. You can also apply steam topically to unclog your pores, particularly in areas where you experience breakouts a lot.
Caution of Steam Inhalers
Although steam inhalation is considered relatively safe as a home remedy for breathing conditions, it’s important to note that this is only the case when you do it right. It’s quite possible to unintentionally hurt yourself or those in your care when the proper safety procedure is not followed.
Steam inhalers carry with them a risk of scalding if anyone makes contact with the near-boiling water in the device. The good news is, if you get a high-quality well-constructed device and you follow the instructions from the manufacturer as to how best to make use of your steam inhaler, then you will make it more likely that you’ll be able to safely use your device for years to come.
Here are a few tips to help you stay safe while using a steam inhaler:
- Prior to using your inhaler, check to see that there are no damaged parts. If there are any, make sure they’re replaced before you use the device.
- Keep your inhaler’s air vents clear to allow it to operate efficiently.
- Don’t place your inhaler unit in or near water, and don’t operate it with wet hands to prevent electric shocks.
- Before turning it on, always ensure that the tank in your inhaler has adequate water. Never operate it when it’s empty.
- Before cleaning or filling your steam inhaler, make sure that you unplug it. Also, keep it unplugged when it’s not in use.
Just remember to take extra care whenever using a steam inhaler with young children to prevent them from getting burned. Also, it’s not recommended to use steam inhalers on babies who are under the age of two years.
Other people who need to be careful when using steam inhalers are those who suffer from asthma. If you fall into any of these categories, then make sure that you talk to your doctor or caregiver first before using a steam inhaler to relieve your symptoms. Although there are many medical benefits to using steam inhalers, when not used properly, this device can prove extremely dangerous to you.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions About Steam Inhaler
Q-1: What Is Steam Therapy?
- This is a therapeutic treatment often prescribed for those who suffer from conditions such as arthritis, allergies, hypertension, and so on. The aim of steam therapy is mainly to use hot water vapor on your body to get the desired results.
- This can be administered in a variety of ways including inhalation, steam rooms, hot showers, or placing your face over boiling water with a towel draped over your head. Water used in steam therapy is boiled to over 38°C, and the individual seeking steam treatment generally subjects themselves to the steam for between 20 minutes and an hour.
Q-2: How Can I Use Steam to Relieve Congestion?
- To relieve congestion, simply add water to your steam inhaler’s internal chamber, then wait for it to start boiling. Depending on the model, you might have to add pre-boiled water. Once the inhaler begins to produce a steady flow of warm, moist air, you can then use the controls on your steam inhaler to adjust the intensity as well as the temperature of the steam.
- Then inhale this vapor through your nose into your lungs. It’ll moisten the nasal passages in your throat and this will effectively clear congested sinuses and allow you to breathe easier through your nose. As a bonus, the water vapor elevates your body temperature which helps to dilate blood vessels for better circulation.
Q-3: Which Steam Inhaler Is Best for Relieving Cold?
- When it comes to relieving different kinds of symptoms, it’s important to note that there are various types of steam inhalers on the market. A steam inhaler for relieving congestion may not be the right one for asthma symptoms. You have to make sure that you getting the right steam inhaler for your needs.
- Although trying to find the best, safest, most affordable product can prove to be a hassle, we’ve made your job easier by researching, rating, and reviewing 10 of the best products on the market. All you have to do is read the buying guide and decide which features are important to you then make your choice from our list depending on what you need.
Q-4: Why Do I Need to Protect My Eyes While Inhaling Steam?
- Whether you’re using traditional methods or a modern machine, it’s important to cover your eyes and other parts of your face when using a steam vapor. This is particularly true when dealing with steam vapor that contains essential oils, eucalyptus, or other herbs and oils as it may hurt your eyes or cause them to burn really bad.
- Take extra care when using these oils or herbs where young children are concerned as their eyes are obviously a lot more sensitive than adults’ eyes.
Q-5: Can Steam Inhalers Improve the Quality of Your Voice?
- The answer to that question is a resounding yes. The vast majority of steam inhalers on the market are also good for improving the quality of your voice, particularly if you’re coming out of a cold, flu, or if you just had a cough.
- In fact, anytime you feel like your throat is dry, the steam from an inhaler works wonders in helping to moist in your throat passage in your lungs so that you feel a lot less irritated when speaking. This is particularly important for singers, radio announcers, TV personalities, and basically anyone who does any regular public speaking.
The bottom line is that there are so many advantages to using a steam inhaler that everyone can benefit from, not just those afflicted by respiratory illnesses. If you want to keep your throat and lungs performing at their best, then this is a great device to have handy.
Use our review and buying guide as your resource to help you make the right choice for your needs. Or you can simply save yourself a lot of time and effort by making your choice from our list of the 10 best steam inhaler devices that are available on the market right now.